Tuesday 15 December 2009

Conventions







Before beginning to create my magazine I researched several magazines before deciding to specify mine to Indie. Stereo typical indie artists tend to wear checked shirts, skinny jeans, big hair. I decided to conform to these stereo typical conventions as otherwise, it may not be as easy to know what specific genre my magazine is.


With my front cover I decided to get my inspiration mainly of Q magazine. As you can see I used alot of similar conventions that Q used. I decided to go with a similar Masthead as I think that the one used by Q magazine is very powerful and effective. In comparison to Q, I had my artist over the masthead, but not completely to show the possible buyers what magazine it is. With having similarities to Q front cover I didn't want to completely copy it as it isn't a indie based magazine so I decided to use some different fonts and colours such as yellow to make it more appealing to my social groups.


For almost the whole magazine, I have followed the forms and conventions which are in the magazine industry. With this said, I also challenged expectations of the magazine industry as I had a all girl indie band in my double page spread. Whilst doing my research I seemed to find that there are not any all girl bands in industry that are well known and regularly feature in such popular magazines as Q, NME etc. However, Feminists may argue that with using an all girl band on my double page spread it would be subject to the male gaze and the attention not being focused on the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment